May 24, 2013
Technology and WRL
The Design Technology and WRL learning area is a friendly and positive environment, where all the students are expected to work hard and achieve their best. Design Technology encompasses a diverse field of subjects, ranging from Construction to Food Technology and Textiles. High standards are encouraged across the area and all our learners are supported by enthusiastic and positive staff to enable them to achieve their very best. Emphasis is on all the students’ individual needs which enables us to equip them with the knowledge and skills to be successful in all areas of learning.
To encourage students to achieve their full potential we provide vocational and practical based subjects. These subjects offer the opportunity to take part in many outside activities and use a variety of ICT software and CAD/CAM manufacture. The ‘Fashion Show’ trip is one such event which encourages innovative KS4 fashion designers to achieve success in garment making and allows them to show their successes in an end of year Fashion Show.
As most students are taught in a similar ability group, this gives the opportunity to offer a board programme of studies that includes GCE, GCSE, BTEC Level 1, 2 and 3 courses in KS4 and KS5. Based on the success of this we are now offering a GCSE short course and ELC in Design Technology in KS3 (Yr9) to promote and encourage students to thrive in innovation and design.
Courses we offer in Technology and WRL at KS4/KS5 include:
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Construction
- BTEC L2 Art and Design
- Beauty - Level 2 certificate Creative Craft
- Hair - Creative Craft
- VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Hair
- VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty
- BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate Health & Social Care
- BTEC Level 2 Child Development
- BTEC Level 3 Child Development
- BTEC Level 3 Hospitality
- GCSE Design and Technology: Food Technology
- GCSE Resistant Materials
- Enterprise and Initiative - Fire and Rescue Services in the Community Level 2 BTEC Award
- Enterprise and Initiative - COPE Level 2
- Enterprise and Initiative - WWO Level 2
- Enterprise and Initiative - IOL Level 2
- Enterprise and Initiative - Public Services Level 2