Performing Arts Specialism
Leeds West Academy is looking to enrol 30 students from across the region to become part of next year’s Performing Arts Specialism cohort.
Each child will be asked to participate in a series of workshops to showcase their ability and talent in dance, drama and music.
Specialism auditions are on Thursday 2nd November and the deadline for applications is on the Friday 20th October.
What does our PA Specialism Offer include?
- An exceptional academic curriculum, delivering the highest standards across the statutory national curriculum.
- An additional hour of dance per week in lieu of PE
- One full "drop-down day" each half term for the specialism students, where students will participate in PA workshops, including visiting professionals from the world of Performing Arts will be invited to work directly with our students.
- Termly PA visits to theatres and performance across the region and beyond.
- Weekly "Extended School" activities safeguarded for PA Specialism Students.
The Specialism Student Experience & Expectations
- To participate in dance/drama/music extracurricular each term.
- To be self-confident and lead an engagement with the arts in related activities.
- To attend performances frequently, to build on a specialist knowledge and to stay ahead of the creative competition.
- To attend auditions in and outside of school to develop skills.
- To act as a role model for the arts across school, as the face of Performing Arts.
- To always stay positive!
WHARFEDALE AWARDS 2017- ‘The Wiz’
Certificate of Merit for Performance: Sophie and Josh.
Certificate of Merit for Best Programme: Mr Ellis-Hambley, tied with Kaleidoscope & Leeds Youth Opera.
Certificate of Merit for Best Choreographer: Ms Hudders.
The West Riding Education Trophy: Leeds West Academy – involvement of the whole school every year in a major production project, providing invaluable opportunities for all its students to learn theatre skills for the production of The Wiz.
The Valerie Jackson Trophy for Youth Dance: Kadafi Mulula – excellent artistry and athleticism in dance.
2017 Star Pathway Students
Dylan (Year 9)- School of Rock (West End)
Jack (Year 11) - Emmerdale (ITV)
Troy (Year 9) - Strictly Ballroom (West Yorkshire Playhouse)
Charlotte (Year 8) - Three Girls (BBC)
Junior (Year 9)- Danced with Justin Bieber.