Now accepting specialism applications for 2016-17
Tickets now available for Arts Fest 2016 , click here book now
24 places are available for the Year 7 September intake for students with a strong aptitude in performing arts. Places are allocated irrespective of whether Leeds West Academy is their nearest school and are based on performing arts ability which is assessed at a workshop style audition.
Specialism students will be given the following acceleration and enhancement opportunities:
- As part of the specialism offer students are taught as a discrete group in their performing arts lessons to develop their skills in Drama, Dance and Music.
- All Year 7 students at LWA have one cross-curricular Project Day per week as part of their normal timetable. However, students in the specialism cohort have a Performing Arts focus on their Project Days.
- In Year 8 specialism students also have an additional Performing Arts lesson a week.
- Priority for instrumental and singing lessons in Year 7 & 8.
- To work with visiting artists on a specific skill area within the arts and trips to see professional performance work.
- Compulsory Specialism EEP where students will develop their skills in Acting, Dance or Music, as chosen each half term by the students. In Acting EEP the students follow the LAMDA Acting Skills syllabus and have the opportunity to be entered for their performance grades.
- Take part in a Performance Showcase Event, where Specialism students perform a range of pieces from across the arts forms to an invited audience.
- Students will be provided with a Performing Arts T-shirt which they can wear in Dance or Drama lessons and in extra-curricular activities. They also have the opportunity to purchase a hooded sweatshirt in addition to this.
- To audition for casting agency SCALA who have excellent links with film and TV casting directors.